Aug 12, 2011

Friday Round-Up

Each week I round-up all the (mostly book-related) articles/blog posts/book reviews/websites/videos that entertained me during the week. Enjoy!

Articles

"The Best 100 Closing Lines from Books", according to UK's Stylist.

Flavorwire's "10 Real-Life Places That Inspired Literary Classics". Also, don't miss Jen Ross's beautiful photographs of the house that inspired the house in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fizgerald. The house, sadly, was torn down.

Thoughtful and provocative article in the Chronicle of Higher Education entitled "We Can't Teach Students to Love Reading". Even though I'm of the mindset that I can still find the right book to entice anyone, I do believe we can't teach everyone to love reading the same way I do (and probably you do).

The Hairpin's "Favorite Books of the Secretly Jerky". My favorite:
  • Secretly a Blubbering Manchild: Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
    I'm not saying this is a bad book. This is a pretty good book! I'd still like to raise two points. One, when a dude says it's his favorite, I automatically think "So he hasn't read anything since tenth grade English." And two, any time a person over the age of 18 tells you how much they identify with Holden Caulfield, it's a warning sign. Like a warning sign with flashing lights and shrieky sirens and a third alarming thing. I mean, I'm not telling you how to live your life, ladies. I'm just letting you know what you're walking into. Do it with your eyes open.

Blogs/Websites/Magazines

The Hairpin is a women's general interest blog that reminds me of Ladies' Home Journal, if the Ladies' Home Journal suddenly became more feminist. They do have a books section, one article of which is listed above in the "articles" section.

Jen Campbell over at This Is Not the Six Word Novel has a series of posts entitled "Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops". As a former bookseller I can attest to the truth in these.

Book-related Products You Don't Need but are Fun to Have

Personal Library Kit

I Read a Book pad (no, I don't mean for your child, I mean to give to the teenager or college student in your life)

BookBook - the laptop case that looks like a book - my personal favorite.

How many ways can you reuse old library cards? According to Etsy you can make notebooks, Save-the-Dates (don't miss adding a book page to the inside of an envelope), and even gift tags.

Community

Street Books is a "bicycle-powered mobile library for people living outside" in Portland, OR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?