Aug 5, 2011

Friday Round-Up

Each week I round-up all the (mostly book-related) articles/blog posts/book reviews/websites/videos that entertained me during the week. Enjoy!

Articles

"10 Action Librarians" featured on The Mary Sue. Need I say more?

NPR Books recommends "Laugh Yourself Cool: 5 Funny Books to Beat the Heat".
I'm one of those readers that forgets completely where she is and really does laugh out loud, even if I'm in my office or on a crowded train car. I'll have to add one or two of these to my list.

Having recently pimped my own ride, "Reading and Its Rewards," an article by Maile Meloy (doesn't that sound like an Agatha Christie character?) from the New York Times about reading to earn a bike was a sweet trip down memory lane to my own childhood book reports (though with no bike as incentive - I just happened to be the child of academics who thought summertime book reports would help me later in life. As much as I hate to admit my parents were right, they did.).

"Favorite Snacks of the Great Scribblers" by Wendy Macnaughton over at the New York Times made me think what my writing snack is. Admittedly it's been a little while, but if I'm feeling really indulgent, probably chocolate and peanut butter-covered pretzels. 

To counter last week's Hipster Lit article, here's Flavorwire's "Yuppie Lit: Books About the Filthy Rich".

The world's first waterproof book - discuss.

Not gonna lie, I stole this entire thing from Shelf Awareness:

Good Advice: Live with More Books than You Read

"He should live with more books than he reads, with a penumbra of unread pages, of which he knows the general character and content, fluttering round him. This is the purpose of libraries.... It is also the purpose of good bookshops, both new and secondhand, of which there are still some, and would that there were more. A bookshop is not like a railway booking-office which one approaches knowing what one wants. One should enter it vaguely, almost in a dream, and allow what is there freely to attract and influence the eye.

"To walk the rounds of the bookshops, dipping in as curiosity dictates, should be an afternoon's entertainment. Feel no shyness or compunction in taking it. Bookshops exist to provide it; and the booksellers welcome it, knowing how it will end." —Economist John Maynard Keynes, as quoted in a Canberra Times piece headlined "Bookshops about more than just purchasing."

Blogs/Websites/Magazines

The Book Cover Archive: An Archive of Book Cover Designs and Designers

I totally want to team up with the folks at Little Free Library. Maybe after my next carpentry class, I'll build my own.

Help Ex-Borders Employees. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Can't find a book at the library? Even if it's the BPL, a fantastic library system, that sadly can't always keep up with my eccentric tastes? Check out Paperback Swap.

Typography

Want to drool over fonts all day? Sign up for emails and a hardcopy mailed right to your house of fonts produced by House Industries' Photo-Lettering (aka PLING). While you're at it, you should also sign up for the House Industries email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?