Jan 19, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Waiting on Wednesday (WoW) is a weekly meme hosted by
My first and second WoW posts were about my guilty pleasure reading - romantic (often paranormal) paperback/mass market novels. My third and fourth WoW posts were YA (young adult) titles. For the first time ever, today's post will feature adult literary fiction:

State of Wonder by Anne Patchett
9780062049803, $26.99, Harper, Pub. Date: June 2011 

Oh, Anne Patchett, you make my heart sing. Bel Canto and Truth & Beauty (fiction and non-fiction, respectively) would make my top 20 favorite books of all time list, as both have the power to lift and inspire while compellingly describing the harsher aspects of love and life. Bel Canto is quite possibly one of her most famous works, about love, opera, terrorism, and sacrifice in South America. Truth & Beauty is simultaneously a love letter and a friendship manifesto, chronicling the relationship between Patchett and her best friend, Lucy Grealy. I recently picked up her first novel, The Magician's Assistant, and it's sitting on my shelf next-in-line to be read. And now, a new novel, due out in June. 
Here is the Library Journal early description:

Marina Singh, who's given up her medical practice for the relative quiet of pharmaceutical research, finds her world upturned when she's suddenly sent to the Amazon. A field team there, working on a new drug, has been unresponsive for two years, and Marina's colleague Anders, who has gone to investigate, is reported dead. An adventurous story of science and responsibility from the ever-popular Patchett, who's being rewarded with a one-day laydown on June 7, a 300,000-copy first printing, and a 12-city tour.
Doesn't that sound fascinating? Need more to be convinced? Here's a wonderful article from The Aspen Times about her new work. I've marked the on-sale date on my calendar; here's hoping you will, too.

4 comments:

  1. I have not read any of her books, but this one sounds fascinating. I will be adding it to my want list.

    My WoW is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She makes my heart sing, too! So looking forward to her latest...great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good, I haven't read any of her books either might have to change that.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, it IS good! I started it today on my flight from DC to Hartford and i"m about 100 pages in. It's really good. Better than Run; remains to be seen if better than Bel Canto.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?