Feb 20, 2009

Children's Book Talks

One of my favorite parts of my job is giving book talks to people. Whether it's one individual in my bookstore or an entire classroom of people, there's almost nothing I love better than to gush about my favorite books to avid listeners.

Today I had the rewarding experience of speaking to a class I had once taken. As an undergrad at Mount Holyoke College, I had taken a Writing Children's Literature class with professor/author Corinne Demas. During that class, one Friday morning, we traipsed across the road to the Odyssey Bookshop where the now-retired Cindy Pyle, then the Children's Department Manager, gave us a book talk about all sorts of amazing books and publishing trends in the children's literature world.
Corinne's Newest Book!
Available here.


Four years later, now the Children's Department Manager at the Odyssey Bookshop myself, I had to the pleasure of giving just such a book talk to Corinne's latest Writing Children's Literature class. It was an amazing and rewarding experience. Though I have further dreams (*ahem*owning my own children's store*ahem*), in a way, you know you've made it when a former professor says, "I've learned so much from you!"

Thanks to Corinne's class for being a supportive listening audience, for being interested in a subject so close to my heart, and for asking some great questions. I hope to see you all back here soon!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rebecca,

    I just discovered your compelling blog, filled with energy, information and a love for books.

    I would like to send you a review copy of Planet Of The Dogs, the first book in our Planet of the Dogs series.
    These illustrated first chapter adventure books are for children and dog lovers of all ages.

    You can preview the book in advance. For sample chapters and more information on the series, please visit www.planetofthedogs.net.

    For information on the concepts behind our books and our involvement in therapy dog reading programs, please visit http://barkingplanet.typepad.com.

    Please reply to our email (barkingplanet@aol.com) with a postal address and we will be most pleased to send you the book, or, if you prefer, the complete series.

    Best wishes,
    Robert McCarty
    Barking Planet Productions

    PS: Independently of this email, we are sending you a Flash Report at Odyssey
    PPS: I have a daughter, Gregg McCarty, who also went to Mt Holyoke

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?