Oct 7, 2011

Friday Round-Up

Each week I round-up all the (mostly book-related) articles/blog posts/book reviews/websites/videos that entertained me during the week. Enjoy!

Academia

No, I did not go to Smith College. I went to Mount Holyoke College. Yes, we're rivals. No, I do not care in the slightest about that. What do I care about? Smith College's new Book Studies Concentration. Why oh why did they not have this 10 years ago when I was looking into colleges? This might almost be reason enough to move back to Western MA so that class auditing can commence. Either way, super jealous, and very excited, about this program.

Book Design

LOVE these new covers for eight hardcover poetry books reissued by Faber & Faber. My favorite, of course, is William Blake.

Children's Books

The lost stories of Dr. Seuss (not to be all dramatic) are being published in The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories.

Flavorwire story of the week: "Ten Famous Children's Authors Who Also Wrote Books for Adults"

Check out this article: "Beyond Sparkly Vampires: YA for Lit Snobs".

Movie

Anonymous is a new movie about to be released about William Shakespeare, the premise being he did not exist, or at least, not in the way we think we know him. Looks very dramatic, lushly shot, a visual and auditory feast for the senses. Or maybe it just has very good trailers. Watch one on the official movie website. Watch another here.



Typography

I shudder at the mere thought of Comic Sans. Here's a rebuttal: "I'm Comic Sans, Asshole" by Mike Lacher on McSweeney's (obviously watch for foul language).

Websites/Blogs

BookRiff™ "lets you create, buy & sell digital & printed books packed with remixed content from the world's top creators." Loving this idea. This Canadian-based company launches soon. Read about it here.

Just discovered Book Riot, a multi-writer book blog that Ms. Emily Crowe over at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads!) turned me on to.


The Nervous Breakdown is a literary book forum website of sorts. Check them out for reviews on fiction, non-fiction, arts, music, etc.

Modern Romance is a blog written by a sixteen-year-old boy, with book reviews and interviews and I'm so impressed I had to share it.

Faber & Faber is a UK publisher I'm currently enamored with (they're the ones publishing the Romantics poetry series I mention above), especially their "Faber Finds" section. Check them out for books you've probably never heard of but should consider reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?