Oct 28, 2011

Friday Round-Up

Each week I round-up all the (mostly book-related) articles/blog posts/book reviews/websites/videos that entertained me during the week. Enjoy!

Let's just get this out of the way, shall we? Ira Glass Sex Tape (Spoof) 




Article
















Occupy library in London via Publishing Perspectives

Better late than never: The 2011 National Book Award Finalists were announced (with a little bit of YA controversy).

Thank you to 100 Scope Notes for bringing this to my attention:
  • "Youth librarian Lucas Maxwell at the Tantallon Public Library in Nova Scotia, Canada came up with a good idea to celebrate the 10th birthday of his branch. I’ll let him tell it:
To celebrate our 10th birthday this month I wrote to a bunch of
authors, asking them to write a letter back, addressed to the youth of
this area outlining the benefits of reading and libraries in general."
  • Check them out here.

A short but sweet article about Icelandic author Sjón from Publishing Perspectives.

I kinda agree with MTV on this one: "Six Horrible Books to See On Your New Girlfriend's Bookshelf"

Books About Poverty

Girl With a Dragon Tattoo-inspired clothing line by H&M. Um...I'm glad y'all were inspired and all...but didn't this look already happen back-in-the-day? You know, "grunge"? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I remember that...can't be the only one.

Blog/Website 

The Books They Gave Me, a blog detailing the books you've received from your lover(s).
I surprised myself by realizing there was only one who gave me books that I still cherish. Thanks, St.

Bookseller I'd Like to F*** is a column written by Lacey Dunham. In particular, I'm a fan of her "10 Myths About Bookselling". Among many many others.

BookLamp.org is for books what Pandora is for music. Almost. It's close. It's getting there. And I did add 3 new books to my TBR list before I decided to take a break. So it does work.

Children's Books

Top 10 Pulse-Racing Adventure Books thanks to The Guardian.

Also in The Guardian: "Reading with Kids"


































Movie

Mourir Aupres de Toi (To Die By Your Side) filmed in Shakespeare & Co., the famous Parisian bookstore.

Mourir Auprès de Toi (To Die by Your Side) by Spike Jonze from Léonard Cohen on Vimeo.

Publishers

I gush about Penguin Books and their designs so much, you'd think I was getting a commission. (I'm not, but hey Penguin, I'm open to the idea.) They've created a new series of books called "Great Foods" that explores the past 400 years of good food writing. That's right: 400 years. Think they didn't make good food back then? Think they couldn't write well about good food back then? Think again.

Tattoos

New meaning to "don't judge a book by its cover".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?