Sep 16, 2011

Friday Round-Up

Each week I round-up all the (mostly book-related) articles/blog posts/book reviews/websites/videos that entertained me during the week. Enjoy!

Articles

When (Dead) Writers Tweet: The Art of Concise Imitation

Lev Grossman defends the codex (a.k.a. the book) in the New York Times:
"The codex won out over the scroll because it did what good technologies are supposed to do: It gave readers a power they never had before, power over the flow of their own reading experience. And until I hear God personally say to me, “Boot up and read,” I won’t be giving it up."

Letters of Note features this classic internal Walt Disney company communication: "Seven Little Men Help a Girl" (left).

Sophie Blackall's illustrated Missed Connections discussed on NPR.

Blogs/Websites

Publishing Perspectives is a newsletter I've been receiving about international publishing. Two articles that caught my eye this week were "What Do You Look for in a Translation? Edification or Entertainment?" (as I don't like to read a lot of translations, I would say more entertainment) and "Are Games a Gateway into Classic Lit for Reluctant Readers?" (I say tricky, despite having been an early advocate of graphic novels as the "gateway drug" into full-length novels. Sometimes gaming only leads to more gaming.).

Proud to feature the blog of a former grad school classmate: Adventures of a Blonde Librarian.

Children's Books

I only got 19 correct, much to my chagrin. Can You Name the Characters from Works of Children's Literature?

Brian Selznick's new children's novel, Wonderstruck, came out on September 13th. Speakeasy offers an exclusive preview for those who haven't already purchased it or checked it out of the library.

Michael Chabon talks about his new super hero children's book over at Wall Street Journal's Speakeasy.

Today's Inspiration features children's book illustrations. I get one to my inbox daily.

Maurice Sendak interview about his new children's book, Bumble-Ardy.

Lists

Independent bookseller recommendations compiled here.

Typography

What Your Font is Secretly Telling the World About You by Simon Garfield, the author of Just My Type

A delightful and meaningful short film about the life of the late Doyald Young, legendary typographer.



Video

NBC's Brian Williams addresses "digital geek speak" and what this actually means (i.e. "Netflix for books" = libraries)...



And the strangest, least-informative Kickstarter video EVER award goes to author Neil Gaiman and singer Amanda Palmer as they raise funds for their West Coast tour/CD compilation project: An Evening With Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer.

1 comment:

  1. Nice roundup! I didn't do too well with those children's lit characters, either. Many I'd never read, some I'd forgotten the characters' names but knew the book title. (What was he name of the girl from te island of the blue dolphins, for one example). I missed 24 of them. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?