Feb 17, 2011

Beacon Press Book-of-the-Day: Queer Quotes edited by Teresa Theophano

Introducing a new blog series: the Beacon Press Book-of-the-Day!

This will be similar to my Houghton Mifflin Harcourt book of the day series which some of you may remember from my stint as the Children's Editorial Intern with HMH this summer (part 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 can be found by clicking on the numbers). As the Sales & Marketing Associate for Beacon Press, it's about time I began highlighting some of the books on the Beacon list I'm learning to enjoy.

First up:

Queer Quotes: On Coming Out and Culture, Love and Lust, Politics and Pride, and Much More
edited by Teresa Theophano
Hardcover:9780807079065, $15
Paperback: 9780807079256, $10

I keep this book next to my desk and whenever I need a little pick-me-up, I flip to a random page and read a few quotes. It's never failed to make me smile, often think, and sometimes even laugh out loud.

Here is the publisher description:

Queer Quotes is a compendium of wit and wisdom from well-known historical and contemporary cultural figures. Often amusing, the quotes are also thought-provoking and have an impressive scope. Subjects range from love and gay marriage to HIV/AIDS, from gender identity to religion, and everything in between. Featuring more than 350 quotes as well as short biographies of the individuals quoted, Queer Quotes is an essential resource and an ideal gift book.

Some of the contributors include Dorothy Allison, James Baldwin, Tallulah Bankhead, Simone de Beauvoir, Truman Capote, Kate Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres, Leslie Feinberg, Liberace, Audre Lorde, Sir Ian McKellen, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Oscar Wilde.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?