Apr 6, 2009

Rainy Afternoon

I love rainy afternoons. It's my favorite type of weather, favorite time of day - particularly when I happen to have that day off. It would be so easy to be unemployed, or better yet, fabulously rich so that I could only work on the days and in the ways that I wanted to. There are always a million (roughly) things that I want to do on my few days off and it's not just a matter of not having the time to do them, it's not even knowing where to begin!

I have at least 18 books that I am either in the middle of or are waiting to be
read, but we all recognize that's just par for the course. Then there are the arts & crafts projects I have in mind like refabing the sweater I purchased at Sally's (Salvation Army), playing with the wooden type I was given last week, patching the holes in at least 3 pairs of pants, repainting my bedside table, finishing the wooden bowls that need to be sanded and oiled, repainting the frame of the mirror I picked up at a thrift shop, scrapbooking pictures that have yet to be scrapped, designing the back tattoos I've been thinking of; on top of which, I want to be cleaning and organizing my room, cleaning and organizing the storage/craft closet, baking, cooking for the week, writing more of my novel, working out; or I could be napping, reading, watching a movie, hanging out with friends, taking a walk in the rain, sitting in a cafe, driving around in the rain... See what I mean? Endless!

So what did I decide to do today? Well, I wrote about 9 pages this morning, did a light workout, had lunch with a friend, and am now blogging because I couldn't decide whether to read, watch a movie, take a nap, or (horrors, and notice I haven't mentioned it until now) do homework. I'm having an issue - I'm a bit children's literature saturated! This may come as a shock, considering how little I actually mention children's literature in this blog, but I am constantly reading children's books. All. The. Time. And I am getting sick of it! I need a grown-up book to satisfy me, and I don't mean in the Nora Roberts satisfaction sort of way (though last week, I did read a trilogy of hers that I had not previously read, and it hit the spot in that way as well - The Sign of Seven trilogy, in case you're interested).

I'm picking up Nick Hornby, who almost always does it for me in these cases. My co-worker has loaned me the second book cataloguing his column - Housekeeping vs. The Dirt - but I have to finish the first - The Polysyllabic Spree - in order to get to it. I know, I've been reading The Polysyllabic Spree forever, but it's just that it's so good I feel guilty reading it because I know there are a million other things I should be doing - like writing that paper that's due on Wednesday. Which reminds me, I really should go do that, and now, see, here we are, back at the beginning with too much to do and too little time to do it in, and with homework winning out over all of it. Sigh.

What are you all up to on a rainy afternoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?